1. CUTTING OUT CARBOHYDRATES
- Everyone NEEDS carbs to survive
- Carbs are you PRIMARY “Energy” source
- Carbs are converted to glucose, which is taken up by your brain and skeletal muscles
- The rest is stored in the liver as glycogen, which can be used as an immediate energy source or stored for future use
2. NOT EATING ENOUGH PROTEIN
- Protein is not an energy course, but can AID in replenishing glycogen repletion
- Protein creates better muscle refueling and rebuilding
- Protein reduces Cortisol, a hormone that breaks down muscle
- Amino acids from protein, if readily available, enhances muscle repair and reduces muscle soreness
- Protein HELPS BURN FAT!!
3. SKIPPING MEALS
- Skipping meals can actually have the reverse effect than you’d expect
- When skipping meals, your body goes in to the “fed-fast” state (starvation mode)
- Your brain will use all the carbs you ate to function and your body will go into lipolysis – in essence, turns everything else in to fatty acids and stores it in your adipose tissue
4. LISTENING TO YOUR FRIENDS ADVICE!
Eat when you’re hungry and Stop when you’re full!
Sounds simple, right?
Ha, well…it’s not that simple, though it should be… it’s the practice of Intuitive Eating!
Intuitive eating is the process of “Making Peace with Food” through mind, body and spirit. It teaches you how to distinguish between emotional and physical hunger. Everyone is born with the ability to eat intuitively starting in infancy so we can certainly get back to that stage through the proper mind-set. Some can learn this and proceed to transform their diet mentality and others may need some help with the process….either way, it is the ultimate way to live life!
The 10 Principles of Intuitive Eating
- Reject the Diet Mentality
- Honor your Hunger
- Make Peace with Food
- Challenge the Food Police
- Feel your Fullness
- Discover the Satisfaction Factor
- Cope with your Emotions without Using Food
- Respect your Body
- Exercise – Feel the Difference
- Honor your Health with Gentle Nutrition
Intuitive Eating was originally created by Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD and Elyse Resch, MS, RD, FADA, CEDRD, both of whom I have met and spoke to personally.
I have received a Certificate of Completion at the Intuitive Eating PRO Workshop 2.0 in 2012. If you need help, please contact me for a counseling session!
Are you trying to get your family to eat healthier, but all they do is put up a fuss? Here are some sneaky ways to cut those extra calories without them ever knowing… wink…..wink. I did this with my family and they never tasted the difference..in fact they “LOVED” my cooking!
- Use egg whites in place of whole eggs (for example: 4 egg whites in place of 2 whole eggs) in any recipe
- Splenda granulated in place of sugar while baking
- Splenda brown sugar in place of regular brown sugar
- Light sour cream in place of regular sour cream on your baked potatoes, tacos or quesadillas
- Low fat cottage cheese instead of regular cottage cheese
- Apple sauce in place of vegetable oil while baking
- Use 1% or skim milk in place of whole milk
- Bake your breaded chicken cutlets instead of frying them!
- 10% lean ground beef/sirloin instead of 30%
- Baked potato chips instead of regular chips
- Low sodium canned soup (if this is a must)
- Light mayonnaise or try mustard on sandwiches
- 2% skim cheese instead of regular cheese on tacos, grilled cheese sandwiches…..